As a college student, the term “networking” is far from a foreign concept. Students are regularly told how networking can positively impact their future. However, for many people, networking can seem like a confusing or even frightening task. This is where “casual networking” comes in handy.
Casual networking is no more than maximizing conversations with everyone you communicate with. Once a conversation gets into full swing, it is easy to learn a lot about the person you are talking to, and vise versa. Here are a few easy tips to casual networking.
1. Be Yourself- The goal of casual networking is to develop contacts and connections to further one’s life, and career. Spreading fallacies about one’s accomplishments will only be detrimental in the long run.
2. Never make assumptions- Always be open minded about talking to someone because you never know how a person can change your life!
3. Keep it light- Due to the fact that casual networking can happen in any situation, it is important to speak lightly and conversationally. In doing this, one can further exhibit his/her own charisma while still offering up information about work experience and interests.
4. Ask questions- Asking questions can further develop a conversation, while still keeping it on a personal level. Questions also show the other person that you are interested in talking to them.
5. Follow up- Do not be afraid to follow up on any offer or information you are given. It never hurts to try.
A likeable personality can be just as powerful as a high GPA, if used correctly.
By: Morgan Pudimott
Morgan Pudimott is a freshman Communication Interest with a minor in advertising. She is passionate about the field of Public Relations. Morgan plans to continue to become more involved in the blog, and PRSSA itself.